PDF password protected files can be password encrypted and made inaccessible to some users especially when downloaded on the internet. This can be a nightmare to have access to the PDF file when its content is of importance to the user.
A PDF file (The Portable Document Format) is a file or document format which can be read by software and operating system, it is another format of saving documents other than word document.
The security provided by a PDF consists of two different methods and two different passwords. One is user password, which encrypts the file and prevents opening. The other is owner password, which specifies operations that should be restricted even when the document is decrypted. This can include: printing, copying text and graphics out of the document, modifying the document.
You can remove the password to save yourself some inconvenience of always putting the password when viewing the document, if you still have an idea of the password previously used.
How To Open A Password Protected PDF File
In today’s guide, you will learn two ways on how to open a password protected PDF file downloaded online or you have forgotten the password.
TRICK 1 – Open Password Protected PDF Using Microsoft Edge
Microsoft edge is the default browser for windows operating system. You can easily and conveniently remove a password from a PDF file by opening and printing it to a new PDF.
This trick works only if the PDF file doesn’t have any printing restrictions from the original file and the password is available, this is to remove the password from the document so as to prevent constantly inputting it.
STEPS: Print to Microsoft Edge
- Open the PDF document and provide the password it requires.
- Click the Print button on the PDF toolbar on the Microsoft edge browser while viewing the protected document.
- Click the Change button under save as option and select Save as PDF.
- Click the Save button and provide a name and location to save the new PDF.
Note; you’ll need to install a third-party PDF printer before you can perform this print to Microsoft edge trick of opening password protected PDF file.
Trick 2 – Open Password Protected PDF Using Adobe Acrobat Pro
You could make use of PDF software which can be used to view, edit, PDF files. Adobe Acrobat Pro PDF viewer is a software you can use to easily remove the password protection on the PDF viewer. Adobe Acrobat Pro will work even if the PDF has printing restrictions. Here how to achieve that.
STEPS: Adobe Acrobat Pro Method
- Open the password protected PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Pro software and provide its password to view it.
- Click the lock icon at the left side of the window and click File > Properties and click the Security tab and set to no security.
- Click the Security Method option, then select No Security, and click OK to remove the password.
- Click File option > Save to save your changes.
- Once you have saved the file, the password will be removed from the original PDF file.
That is it guys! You can use the above methods to remove passwords from any PDF file. Which method did you use to remove password from PDF files in your Windows, let us know in the comment box below.